International Short-Term Students
International students who are not seeking a degree and come from institutions that have no formal exchange agreement with the University of Siegen are considered short-term students. You may apply on an individual basis for one or two semesters, but you are not allowed to pursue a degree.
Prerequisites for studying at the University of Siegen
To apply as a freemover at the University of Siegen you must meet the following [entry] requirements:
- You need to be enrolled at a university in your home country or a country other than Germany
- You need to find an academic supervisor at the University of Siegen
German language proficiency which corresponds to level C 1, according to the European reference frame, or to a minimum of 800 hours (or 4 years) of coursework in German. (With the exception of the international master programs, nearly all courses at the University of Siegen are taught in German). The supervising professor may issue you an exemption from this requirement.
You must provide recent evidence of your proficiency in German corresponding to level C 1, according to the European reference frame, or of a minimum of 800 hours (or 4 years) of coursework in German. (With the exception of the international master programs, nearly all courses at the University of Siegen are taught in German). In exceptional cases, the language requirement can be waived.
Steps to Applying
- Step: Application Form (→Link)
- Step: Letter of Admission (by mail)
- Step: Enrollment Session (upon arrival in Siegen)
Application for Admission
You must submit the following documents prior to the deadline:
- Application Form
- A cover letter stating your interest and the course of study
- A statement of Student Status/ Statement of Enrollment (to be determined) and Transcript of Records
- A letter from a professor of the University of Siegen confirming that he/she is willing to supervise you academically
- The German language certificate or a letter from your supervising professor that confirms your German language proficiency
- A copy of your passport
Applying for the summer semester:
Applying for the winter semester:
Letter of Admission (Zulassungsbescheid)
If a correct and complete application has been submitted prior to the given deadline, you will receive a letter of admission by mail containing all information about pre-enrollment.
Upon your arrival in Siegen you need to enroll. Please bring the following documents to the enrollment session:
- Pre-enrollment [Form?]
- Letter of Acceptance
- Passport and Visa /residence permit
- Medical insurance certificate
You will then receive information about payment of the semester fee (Semesterbeitrag). If you have further questions, please contact the Department of International Student Affairs.