Während des Semesters (ab 10.10.) immer dienstags und donnerstags von 9.30-11.30 Uhr.
Bitte beachten Sie die besonderen Beratungstermine zu Erasmus+:
Erstberatung für Auslandsaufenthalte mit Erasmus+ findet nur zu folgenden Terminen statt:
15.11. und 29.11., 10.00-12.00 Uhr, AR SSC 012
08.01., 09.01. und 10.01., 14.00-16.00 Uhr, AR SSC 012
Verbindliche (!) Anmeldung bis 1 Tag vorher auf Moodle unter Angabe Ihrer Fragen(n): www.uni-siegen.de/aktuelles
Beratungstermine für Studierende nach der Bewerbung und nach dem Auslandsaufenthalt finden Sie unter www.uni-siegen.de/isa/aktuelles/727285.html
Accommodation: Housing for Short or Long-Term Residences
You can also conduct your own room search: There are apartments and rooms in shared apartments (WGs) that are posted as advertisements in newspapers or on the internet, as well as the bulletin boards at the university. Here are some useful links:
Find further Information about accommodation in Siegen here.
Entry and Stay: "Regulatory Framework"
As an EU Citizen you don’t need a visa to enter Germany. In Germany, all residents must register at the registration office at the town hall (Rathaus) in the city where they live. You must register within one week of your arrival in Germany.
Check the list of the countries whose citizens require a visa to enter Germany. If your country is on this list, make sure to apply for a visa at the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country before your departure.Take care of it in advance - preferably immediately after receiving the admission letter. To get the visa, you need the admission letter as well as documents that prove you can fund your studies in Germany.
After your arrival you must convert your visa into a residence permit and you must register at the registration office. In Germany, all residents must register at the registration office at the "Rathaus" of the city where they live. You must register within one week of your arrival in Germany.
The electronic residence permit (eAT) started on September 1st, 2011. Please use the information sheet of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees!
Important visa information:
Most importantly: don’t arrive with a tourist visa! The tourist visa can not be converted into a residence permit for study purposes!
Inquiries about your progress at the University of Siegen are made regularly over the course of your studies. This is usually done at the beginning of your studies. After two years of study, inquiries will take place once a year. The International Office serves as the contact point between the aliens department offices, schools, examination offices, and students. If you receive mail from the aliens department contact the International Office!
Student Health Insurance
If you are studying in Germany, you must be covered by a health insurance plan. The conditions of health insurance vary depending on your reason for being in Germany and on your age. Health insurance is required when you apply for a residence permit, first time as well as renewal.
IMPORTANT: If you don’t have a health insurance certificate, you can’t enroll !
The German health insurance provider will give you a certificate which says that you are
- either insured, or
- free to choose private insurance,
- exempt from compulsory insurance,
- not eligible for public insurance.
If you are a student from an EU-/EWR-country, you have to prove to a health insurance company that you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before your arrival in Siegen. You will receive a certificate of registration for the insurance coverage.
The Instruction Sheet of Health Insurance gives you more information (only available in German).
Public health insurance companies in the city of Siegen (in alphabetical order):
AOK Studenten-Service: on campus
Adolf-Reichwein-Str. 10, 57076 Siegen
St.-Johann-Str. 23, 57074 Siegen
Koblenzer Straße 40, 57072 Siegen
Sandstraße 31, 57072 Siegen
Löhrtor 10 - 12, 57072 Siegen
Finance Issues: Bank Account and Running Expenses
After your arrival in Siegen, you should open a bank account. Then you can transfer your payments such as the enrollment fee or your rent. Your health insurance company also needs the details of your German bank account. Most banks and savings banks offer free bank accounts to students. Please inform yourself as to the exact conditions before opening a bank account with your chosen bank. You need your passport or identity card to open a bank account.
Banks in Siegen - not a complete list -
Sparkasse Siegen - office and ATM on campus (Mensafoyer)
Volksbank Siegerland eG - ATM on campus
You will need around 750 EUR per month to cover your living expenses in Germany. Consider before enrolling whether you can cover these expenses. They include accommodation, health insurance, food and drink, learning materials and the university fees.
Checklist Enrollment and Residence
- Buy yourself a bus ticket (Gästeticket). Then you are mobile during your first days in Siegen.
- Open bank account.
- Obtain the insurance certificate issued by a statutory health insurance company to enroll.
- Go to the International Office to enroll.
- For Visa requirements: Please register at the aliens department office (Ausländerbehörde).
- Register your place of residence at the Registration Office at town hall (Rathaus).
- Read when and where your Introductory Events will take place.
- Visit user service at "Zentrum für Informations- und Medientechnologie (ZIMT)": Here you will receive your mandatory student e-mail address and information about our IT systems.
- Visit the library (main building on campus, Adolf-Reichwein-Strasse): Request your user ID.
- Visit AStA (students‘ union, close to the main library): By registering your place of residence at the City of Siegen, the registration fee for the mobility-VGWS semester ticket will be reimbursed to you. Under certain conditions the social contribution can be refunded.
- You can print your proof of student registration our from the LSF.
- The re-registration ("Rückmeldung") to the next semester takes place during the specified times. Before the re-registration period begins, you will receive a notice in your student e-mail account containing all the information you will have to provide to re-register - name of the account holder, account number and amount of money to be transferred.
- You can make change of your address or phone number in the LSF Portal.
- For changes of name or nationality, you have to bring a copy of your passport or national identity card (Personalausweis) to the International Office.
- For changes of your study course, apply to the administration at the International Office. You can find the necessary forms in the online form collection (Formularcenter). Take advantage of the fact that you can get advice from a specialist in your faculty as well as at the International Office. If you have a temporary residence permit, you can usually change your course no later than by the third semester.
- Pay attention to the duration of your residence permit and apply for its renewel as early as possible.
Scholarships for International Degree-Students in the Final Stages of Their Degrees (STIBET)
PLEASE NOTE: No scholarships will be avialable for the year 2018!!!
Who can apply?
Applications are accepted from students who …
- are not of German nationality,
- are registered at the University of Siegen in order to acquire a degree qualification
- need financial support,
- and who, based on their previously achieved grades, are likely to graduate within a maximum of two semesters
- are exchange students or short-term students
- are registered at the University of Siegen only to acquire an academic certificate but do not aim for graduation
- are German nationals or have completed their under-graduate studies in Germany
- receive BAFög payments
- are receiving a full grant or scholarship from the German Academic Exchange Service or similar organisation
- are planning to complete a study program or work placement abroad during the duration of the scholarship
Value of the scholarship:
- 300 Euros per month for students in Bachelor’s programs
- 400 Euros per month for students in Master’s or State Exam degree programs
- 500 Euros per month for PhD students
- Period of support: maximum 6 months
- Students can apply for the scholarship to acquire their Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD
- The scholarship support ends at the end of that month during which the scholarship holder takes their last exam or submits their final dissertation
Application Documents (in this order!):
- Application form, properly completed, printed and signed
- Current certificate of enrolment at the University of Siegen
- Resume without photo
- Evidence of completed modules/courses and exams (LSF) - not necessary for post-graduate students
- Timetable for the completion of your degree (in monthly steps)
- Evidence of current finances (e.g. pay-slip of your partner)
- Assessment report from a professor
- Doctoral students: list of publications
- If possible: Registration of the topic of your final dissertation or final examination(s)
- If possible: enclose proof, e.g. copies of employment contract, scholarship agreement, correspondence from the Job Centre, Payslip of your partner
Please note that your application can only be considered if you submit a properly completed form along with all the required documents. The basis is the “Richtlinien zur Vergabe von Fördermitteln im Rahmen von Studienabschlussstipendien für ausländische Studierende und Doktoranden der Universität Siegen" (available only in German).
The selection of students for scholarship support is done by a committee of representatives of the University of Siegen on the basis of the written application documents. The main selection criteria are excellent grades, the student is likely complete their qualification within the scholarship period, and financial need.
A properly completed application does not guarantee scholarship support.
The applicants are informed in writing about the outcome of the application process by the Department International Student Affairs by the end of June.
Contact in the Department International Student Affairs:Eva Grottschreiber
Office hours: Tuesday and Thursday, 9.30-11.30 a.m.
SSC, Office 119,
Tel.: 0271- 740 3916
Please send your complete application and all relevant documents to:University of SiegenStudent Service Center SSCInternational Student Affairs, room 119Adolf-Reichwein-Str. 257068 Siegen
- Upon completion of your studies you must de-register. Please use the form "Exmatrikulation".
- If you are leaving Siegen, please give notice at registration office in town hall and inform the aliens department office.
- Inform your bank and your health insurance company.
- Become a member of the alumni association. The alumni association also provides you with interesting information about the University of Siegen and enables you to stay in touch with friends and colleagues from Siegen.