Are you planning to stay in Siegen with your family or your spouse? In this case you will find information about different formalities and consulting services below. Please let us know at an early stage if your family will accompany you, so we can support your planning.
Visa and entry
Spouses or under-age children may be granted residence permit in the context of "Familiennachzug" (Family Reunion) if certain preconditions are fulfilled:
- The guest researcher has a valid residence permit
- Relevant marriage and birth certificates as well as valid travel documents must be submitted for visa application
- There must be enough living space for the family
- Subsistence of the family including sufficient health insurance must be secured
- In certain cases knowledge of the German language must be proved (not in case of Blue Card EU, residence permit for highly qualified, or temporary stays)
Family members of EU and EWR citizens receive the right of residence even if they do not have the nationality of a EU or EWR member state. Whether an entry visa is required or not depends on the regulations of the respective home country.
In case of entry with family in any case please consider the information about visa application for family reunification on the websites of the responsible German mission.
Information and support services
The Dual Career Service of the University of Siegen offers services that are specially aimed at partners or family members of new employees who want to live and work together in and around Siegen. It offers advice concerning professional careers and further education as well as different aspects to support the compatibility of career and family life.
The Family Service Office of the University of Siegen is another contact point that offers individual advice for families – ranging from questions about childcare to information about parental leave and parental benefits
There are different childcare facilities at the Uni-Campus Adolf-Reichwein-Straße.
- The Day Nursery of the Studierendenwerk Siegen offers childcare of either 35 or 45 hours/week for children aged 2-6 years and provides 70 places
- The flexible childcare facility FLEXI at the University of Siegen offers flexible childcare for children aged from 6 months to 10 years on a temporary and hourly basis
- Furthermore there is a toddlers’ group based on a parents' initiative as well a holiday care for the children of students and employees.
Childcare in Siegen and surroundings
- An overview about day nurseries in and around Siegen is listed on the website of the Siegener Bündnis für Familie
For all children in Germany at the age of 6 to 15 school education is compulsory. Attending public schools in Germany is free of charge. Private schools, independent schools or international schools usually charge school fees.
The following portals offer information about the German school system:
Information about schools in and around Siegen:
Information about the bilingual Primary School bschool Allenbach: