Katalog der UB Siegen

Useful tips

Accommodation: housing for short-term or long-term stays

It is often difficult for students to find a cheap apartment shortly before the beginning of the semester. Our recommendation: Take care of it in advance - a few months before your stay in Siegen. The International Office accommodation service can advise you to find a suitable room and give you other useful tips. The student services (Studentenwerk Siegen AöR) and other private services provide convenient student housing. If you are interested in applying for a dorm room, you can find information on the websites of the student residences:

You can also find a room independently: There are apartments and rooms in shared apartments (WGs) that are posted as advertisements in newspapers or on the internet, as well as the bulletin boards at the university.

If you have already started the semester and have not found accommodation yet or if you are planning on staying only for a short time period, you can stay in a youth hostel in the region (Jugendherberge Hilchenbach or Jugendherberge Freusburg). In addition, don’t hesitate to contact Hotels und Pensions in Siegen  in the surrounding area "Siegerland".

Entry and stay: "regulatory framework"

An extensive overview will be given to you on the DAAD Information Sheet and the websites of BAMF.


As an EU Citizen you don’t need a visa to enter Germany. In Germany, all citizens must register at the registration office at town hall "Rathaus" in the city where they live. You must register within one week of your arrival to Germany.


Check the list of the countries whose citizens require a visa to enter Germany. If your country is on this list, make sure to apply for a visa at the German Embassy or Consulate in your country  before your departure.Take care of it in advance - preferably immediately after receiving the admission letter. To get the visa, you need the admission letter as well as documents that prove you can fund your studies in Germany. 

After your arrival you must convert your visa to the residence permit and you must register at the registration office. In Germany, all citizens must register at the registration office at town hall "Rathaus" in the city where they live. You must register within one week after your arrival in Germany.

The electronic residence permit (eAT) started on September 1st, 2011. Please use the information sheet of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees!

Important visa information:

  • First of all, don’t arrive with a tourist visa! The tourist visa can not be converted into a residence permit for study purposes!
  • Inquiries about your studies at the University of Siegen are made regularly over the course. This usually takes place at the beginning of your studies. After two years of studying, it will take place once a year. The International Office serves as the contact point between the foreigner department offices, departments/examination offices. If you receive mail from the foreigner department office, contact the International Office!

Health insurance

If you are studying in Germany, you must have health insurance. The conditions of health insurance are different and they depend on your reason for being in Germany and your age. Health insurance is required when you apply for or renew a residence permit.

IMPORTANT: If you don’t have a health insurance certificate, you can’t enrol!

German Health Insurance Company gives you a certificate which says that you are

  • insured or
  • exempt from insurance, free from compulsory insurance or without insurance.

If you are a student from an EU-/EWR-country, you have to prove to a health insurance company that you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before your arrival in Siegen. You will receive a certificate of registration for the insurance coverage.

The Instruction Sheet of Health Insurance gives you more information (only available in German).

Public health insurance companies in the city of Siegen (in alphabetical order):

AOK Studenten-Service: on campus
Adolf-Reichwein-Str. 10, 57076 Siegen

St.-Johann-Str. 23, 57074 Siegen

Koblenzer Straße 40, 57072 Siegen

Sandstraße 31, 57072 Siegen

Vereinigte IKK
Löhrtor 10 - 12, 57072 Siegen

Finance issues: bank account and running expenses

Bank account

After your arrival in Siegen you should open a bank account. Then you can transfer your payments such as the enrollment fee or your rent. Your health insurance company also needs the details of your German bank account. Most banks and savings banks offer free bank accounts to students. Please inform yourself in advance as to the exact conditions of opening a bank account with your chosen bank. You need your passport or identity card to open a bank account.

Banks in Siegen - without engagement  -

Sparkasse Siegen - office and ATM on campus (Mensafoyer)

Volksbank Siegerland eG - ATM on campus

Deutsche Bank



Santander Bank

Monthly costs

You will need around 750 EUR per month to cover your living expenses in Germany. Think before you enrollment on courses if you have enough. These expenses include accommodation, health insurance, food and drink, learning materials and the university fees.

Checklist enrolment und residence

Arrival: How to find us

After arrival:
  1. Buy yourself a bus ticket. Then you can get around in Siegen on your first days.
  2. Open bank account.
  3. Obtain the insurance certificate issued by a statutory health insurance company to enrol.
  4. Go to enrol at the International Office.
  5. For Visa requirements: Please register at the foreigners department office.
  6. Register your place of residence at the Registration Office at town hall.
After receiving student's ID card:
  1. Read when and where your Introduction Events will take place.
  2. Visit user service at "Zentrum für Informations- und Medientechnologie (ZIMT)": Here you will receive your mandatory student's e-mail address and information about the IT systems.
  3. Visit the library (main building on campus, Adolf-Reichwein-Strasse): Request your user ID.
  4. Visit AStA (students‘ union, close to main library): By registering your place of residence at City of Siegen you will receive back the registration fee for the mobility-VGWS semester ticket. Under certain conditions the social contribution can be refunded.

During studies

  • You can print your certificate of studies yourself from LSF.
  • The registration ("Rückmeldung") to the next semester takes place during the re-registration. Information that is required for the transfer of the semester fee - Name of the account holder, account number and amount of money being transferred- you will receive a notification to your 'student e-mail address' before the re-registration period.
  • You can change your address or phone number yourself in LSF Portal.
  • If you want to change your name or nationality, you have to bring a copy of your passport or ID to the International Office.
  • If you want to change your course, apply to the Administrative Office at the International Office. You can find the necessary forms via Formcenter. Take advantage of the fact that you can get advice from a specialist in your faculty as well as at the International Office.  If you have a temporary residence permit, you can usually change your course latest by the third semester.  If you have a temporary residence permit, you can usually change your course by the third semester at the latest.
  • Pay attention to the duration of your residence permit and apply for its renewel as early as possible.

Final degree

  • If you are  leaving Siegen, please deregister at registration office in town hall and inform the foreigners department office.
  • Inform your bank and your health insurance company.
  • Become a member of the alumni association. The alumni association also provides you with interesting information from the University of Siegen and enables you to stay in touch with friends and colleagues from Siegen.