Dual Career Service
Tel.: +49 (0)271/740-4827
Fax: +49 (0)271/740-14827
Montag - Freitag 08:30 - 12:30 Uhr
Und nach Vereinbarung
Siegen and the region of Siegen-Wittgenstein
Situated in the southernmost part of North Rhine-Westphalia, Siegen-Wittgenstein (car number plate ID: "SI") adjoins the federal lands of Rhineland-Palatinate and Hesse. The district capital of Siegen with more than 102,000 inhabitants is the economic and cultural heart of this forested region, with a catchment area of some 500,000 people.
Siegen is conveniently located between the cities of the Ruhr area in the north and the Rhine Main area in the south, right between Cologne (1 hour), Dortmund (1 hour) and Frankfurt (1.5 hours). Using the A 45 or A 4 motorways, these cities and areas can be reached in about one hour's drive. The well-developed traffic network is complemented by railway connections running north (Essen-Hagen-Siegen(-Weidenau)) and south (Cologne-Siegen-Gießen) and a local airport located some 20 minutes' drive from the centre of Siegen.
The young university city of Siegen offers a wealth of exciting leisure activities for over 15,000 students and some 1,600 scientists and employees of University of Siegen.
In addition to varied arts and cultural attractions, you will find beautiful natural landscapes that offer a broad range of activities at any time of the year, including hiking or Nordic Walking along scenic trails, golf at an 18 hole golf course, soaring through the sky in a glider, sailing on lake Bigge in the neighbouring Sauerland region or skiing and snowboarding on slopes nearby.
Siegen-Wittgenstein as a business location
The region of Siegen-Wittgenstein is one of Central Europe's oldest iron and steel regions, where the mining, steel and metal producing industries have long been the backbone of the economy. Small- and medium-sized enterprises dominate the business landscape of Siegen-Wittgenstein. Innovative companies are mostly active in plant and mechanical engineering as well as rolling mill technology and there is a strong focus on export business. In recent years, the economic structure of the region’s business has been diversified through the setting up of innovative companies in surface and sensor technology, environmental engineering as well as media and communications technology. To learn more about the products and services of local companies and their export business, please click here.
University of Siegen is keen to work in partnership with local businesses in applied research and development activities for the mutual benefit of both. Thanks to its role as a partner in the regional automotive supplier network Automotive Südwestfalen (Automotive South Westphalia) and its participation in the biennial "Region im Dialog" (regional dialogue) initiative, University of Siegen actively contributes towards the enhanced networking of regional stakeholders.
- New to Siegen - Welcome!
- Welcome to the website of University of Siegen.
- Welcome to Siegen-Wittgenstein (bilingual brochure - DE/E)
- The city of Siegen | Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The district of Siegen-Wittgenstein | Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- The Siegen Travel Guide
- Siegen Map — Satellite Images of Siegen
- bahn.com - online travel booking tool
- Herzlich Willkommen in Siegen (welcome to Siegen)
- City News: Siegen zu neuen Ufern (city development plans 2012-2015)
- Guided city tours (available in English on request)
- The "Hübbelbummler" (sightseeing bus tour from the lower to the upper town of Siegen)
- Pictures of Siegen and the region
- Leben in Siegen (living in Siegen)
- Siegen.TV (regional video portal)
- Informationen rund um den Kreis Siegen-Wittgenstein (about the district of Siegen-Wittgenstein)
- Kultur im Kreis Siegen-Wittgenstein (cultural life in the district of Siegen-Wittgenstein)
- Kulturhandbuch (cultural guide)
- SAFE | Siegener Agentur für Ehrenamt (Siegen agency for volunteer work)
- Siegerland-Wittgenstein – TOP-Region in Südwestfalen (Siegerland-Wittgenstein, South Westphalia’s TOP region)
- Südwestfalen (background information about South Westphalia)
- stadtplan.net (local city map)
- Verkehrsinfo.NRW (regional public transport information)
- Zweckverband Personennahverkehr Westfalen-Süd (public transport in South Westphalia)
Shopping in Siegen
Regional and national radio and TV broadcasts by Radio Siegen and the WDR TV station, which operates a regional South-Westphalia studio in Siegen.
Local daily and weekly newspapers report on events and news from the districts of Siegen-Wittgenstein, Olpe and Altenkirchen.
Regional Websites and other publications
- Querschnitt (newspaper of University of Siegen)
- Expressi (regional news portal)
- Siegen inspiriert (inspiring Siegen)
- Gesellschaft für Stadtmarketing Siegen e. V. (Siegen's city marketing association)
- Südwestfalen (latest news from South Westphalia)
- Gestatten? Siegen-Wittgenstein - die Menschen sind unser Kapital (Flyer: We are Siegen-Wittgenstein – people are our greatest asset, DE/E)
- Wirtschaftsreport Siegen – Olpe – Wittgenstein (monthly magazine produced by Siegen's Chamber of Industry & Commerce, which includes information about the regional economy and business events)
- Zahlenspiegel (statistical data on the Siegen-Wittgenstein region)
District of Siegen-Wittgenstein
- City of Bad Berleburg
- City of Bad Laasphe
- Municipality of Burbach
- Municipality of Erndtebrück
- City of Freudenberg
- City of Hilchenbach
- City of Kreuztal
- City of Netphen
- Municipality of Neunkirchen
- City of Siegen
- Municipality of Wilnsdorf