Student Admission, Registration and Training in German Language
German as a foreign Language /
Deutsch als Fremdsprache
Tel.: 0271 740-3908, -3999
Coordinator Uni-Start for new Immigrants /
Koordinator Uni-Start für Neuzugewanderte
Tel.: 0271 740-5090
before admission /
Bewerbung bis zur Zulassung zum Studium
Tel.: 0271 740-5218, -3903
after admission is issued /
Nach der Zulassung zum Studium
Tel.: 0271 740-3418
Registering to Study at the University of Siegen
Requirements for Study Admission.
The application to the STARTING Department of the University of Siegen is a prerequisite for admission to a study program. The admission to study is followed the preregistration via the online-portal Unisono. Registration means that study applicants are added to the list of students of the University of Siegen
The registration of study applicants with a foreign high-school or graduate degree (educational foreigner) must be done in person at
International Registrar’s Office of the University of Siegen
Ms. Judith Düber
Room: AR-SSC 001
Monday to Friday: 08:30 bis 11:00 o'clock
You are mailed an admission notification, in which you are advised of the time-slot to register at the International Registrar's Office.
Which documents have to be presented for the registration?
- Registration via the online-portal (unisono) - There you will find the application for online preregistration. Please complete the application, submit it online, and bring a print out for your in-person registration.
- Medical insurance certificate for freshmen registration at a university (membership- or chip card is not sufficient!); in case of private health insurance, an exemption certificate from a public medical insurance company must be provided (exemption from student health insurance). See also Information on public health insurance for students. Information on public health insurance for students in chinese language (Student Health Insurance Guideline)
Students taking a German course need to show proof of private medical insurance.
- A Financial Statement, completed and signed. (attached is also an overview of geschätzte monatliche Kosten / Estimated costs of living for students in Siegen.)
- Proof of special education of activities (internship, etc.), if required for the study program.
- Only for Teacher Education Study Programs:
- Courses in Art and Music: Proof of passed aptitude test
- Spanish Course: High School Level Spanisch skills
- Only for students, who are, or were, registered at a University already:
- Proof of the kind and duration of previous studies (study programs/subjects)
- If applicable, proof of previously passed final exams – degrees, as well as their translation to German or English, if the certified copy had not submitted already during the application process.
- Only when studying in Germany: termination of enrollment certificate(s)
- Only when studying in Germany: Continuation of studies in the same program or in a related study program: Certificate from the former institution that no examination or proof of performance required in the examination regulations has been definitively failed in the relevant course of study, or in courses of study in which the same examination or the same performance record is mandatory. (Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung)
- Visiting Student:
- registration certificate for the semester that registration is applied for
- Proof according to paragraph three is not required.
- Admission notice, if granted.
What are the next steps after registration?
After registration, you will receive the information on how the semester fees are to be paid. Please transfer the amount as soon as possible, as the registration becomes effective only after payment is made. If you are no longer interested in the admission, please do let us know immediately.
About two weeks after your payment, you will be sent the following, computer-generated study documents by mail to the home or semester address you have indicated in the application form
- Student ID (only valid in conjunction with a passport [photocopy]) and the
- NRW-/VGWS-Ticket. (Public transportation bus and train ticket for NRW)
All printed data must be carefully checked. Errors and future changes are to be communicated immediately to the International Registrar’s Office in STARTING.
Responsible for study support, according to Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BAföG), is
Studierendenwerk Siegen AöR
Telephone +49 (0) 271 740-4891
Read also Practical Tips!