Registration for the winter semester 23/24 is closed.
International Buddy Program - An enrichment for both sides!
What is the Buddy Program?
Every year, several hundred international students come to study at the University of Siegen.
As exciting as a stay in an unfamiliar country is, it can bring a varierty of challenges:
Language barriers, an unknown culture with its own customs and new surroundings.
The purpose of the program is connecting international students with local students. The peer-to-peer offering encourages the intercultural exchange of these student groups and supports international students with the orientation on campus and in the city.
International students are assigned to an experienced Local Buddy from a higher semester who will be their contact person.
The Local Buddies help the international Students with questions regarding the university and the daily life in Germany.
During the semester, there are a lot of cultural events where the buddy pairs can get to know each other and also get in contact with the other Buddies.
Who can participate in the program?
All enrolled students of the University of Siegen from the second semester who are interested in intercultural exchange.
What should I bring along?
- interest in different cultures and languages
- open-mindedness, sociability and commitment
- time and motivation to support an international student for one semester
What are my tasks as a Local Buddy?
- getting in contact with your Buddy before arrival (via e-mail)
- individual support: tips about studying and leisure (sport, culture and gastronomy offers)
- orientation around the city and campus (important contact points, bus schedules, canteen, library etc.)
- suggestions for supermarkets, doctors, etc.
- help with getting a german SIM card (compare different providers etc.)
Which tasks are not in my area of responsibility?
- pick up from the airport (by private transport)
- financial support
- offering a place to sleep
- legal advice
- visiting authorities e.g. immigration office
- taking out insurance or opening a bank account
You don't have to be available 24/7!
Benefits of participation:
- making new international friends
- gaining intercultural competences
- improving your language skills
- certificate of participation (Local Buddies)
What is the duration of the program?
The duration of the program is one semester.
The program starts at the beginning of every semester with new students.You can always attend again as a Local Buddy.
How much time do I have to invest in the Buddy program?
This depends on your buddy's individual needs and your personal resources.
At the beginning of the semester it is likely that your Buddy needs a lot of support. There are Buddy events during the whole semester. Apart from that, it is your decision how much time you want to spend with your Buddy.
How do I receive my certificate of attendance?
Local Buddies will receive the certificate of attendance by completing these requirements:
- participation in the introductory session
- participation in at least three events during the semester
- writing an experience report
- filling out a feedback form
Only if you meet all of these requirements, you will get the certificate!
What can I expect at the introductory session?
At the introductory event, you will get information about the buddy's tasks, the events that will take place during the semester and we will do an intercultural sensitisation. All your questions about the program will be answered.
How can I register?
Please fill out the registration form and send it to: email@example.com
Registration form for Local Buddies
Registration form for new international students
REGISTRATION FOR THE WINTER SEMESTER 23/24 IS CLOSED!
What happens after the registration?
You will receive a confirmation email. At the beginning of the semester, you will get the contact details of your personal buddy and an invitation to the introductory event.
When will it start?
The program starts in the second week of every semester.
The application period for the WiSe 23/24 starts on 15. August and ends on 08. October!
Note: We try to match you as best as possible with a suitable buddy but we can not guarantee, that you are getting along.