Hinweise zum Einsatz der Google Suche
Personensuchezur unisono Personensuche
Veranstaltungssuchezur unisono Veranstaltungssuche
Katalog plus

Student Admission, Registration and Training in German Language
im SSC-Gebäude
Adolf-Reichwein-Str. 2
57076 Siegen

German as a foreign Language /
Deutsch als Fremdsprache

Tel.: 0271 740-3908, -3999
E-Mail: admission@zv.uni-siegen.de

Coordinator Uni-Start for new Immigrants /
Koordinator Uni-Start für Neuzugewanderte

Tel.: 0271 740-5090
E-Mail: christian.gerhus@zv.uni-siegen.de

before admission /
Bewerbung bis zur Zulassung zum Studium

Tel.: 0271 740-5218, -3903
E-Mail: admission@zv.uni-siegen.de

after admission is issued /
Nach der Zulassung zum Studium

Tel.: 0271 740-3418
E-Mail: registration@zv.uni-siegen.de

Application Procedure

Studienvorbereitende Deutschkurse

Foreign applicants who wish to enroll at the University of Siegen need to be eligible for admission, just like German applicants. They must hold a secondary school certificate, university entrance exam from their home country, or must have completed sufficient years of study in their home country.

The application procedure depends on your nationality and the kind of study program chosen. Due to the high demand for certain programs, the admission requirements may vary and some programs may have restricted admission. To be eligible for a master degree program, candidates must comply with the formal admission requirements, as well as demonstrate specific knowledge.

During the admission process, you will learn whether admission restrictions apply and whether specific knowledge is required by the University of Siegen for the program of your choice (see study programs).

We strongly advise you not to start a study or doctoral program unless you are sure that you have sufficient funds for the entire duration of the program. Please ascertain as early in the admission process as possible, that you will be able to finance your study trip. To cover all your costs (including housing, health insurance and day-to-day expenses, such as food), you will need at least EUR 853.00 per month. Declaration of financial status


Foreign students who acquired their university entrance qualification in Germany (educational Germans)

Foreign applicants who have passed Abitur or a comparable university entrance qualification in Germany or at a German school abroad are named ”educational Germans“. Educational Germans must comply with the same admission requirements and deadlines as German applicants. For Bachelor programs with admission restrictions, please apply for admission through the online Portal unisono. For programs with unrestricted admission, you may enroll in person at the registrar's office (Studierendensekretariat) during the “Open Enrollment” period.
For information about programs which require a technical college certificate, click here. For all information about application and enrollment please contact the Studierendensekretariat.


Foreign students who acquired their university entrance qualification abroad (educational foreigners)

Applicants who are EU nationals or nationals of the European Economic Area (EWR nationals) are regarded as equivalent to German applicants for the purposes of admission.

International master's degree programs taught in Englich require an online-application. In addition the deadlines for application differ from other programs. Further information about international master-programs and their application procedures and deadlines listed here.

For programs with admission restrictions, please apply through the online portal unisono. For programs with unrestricted admission, please apply for admission in writing at the STARTING (Student Admission, Registration and Training in German) office, no later than the defined deadline. Non EU nationals may only apply in writing to STARTING. Information regarding the recognition of school leaving certificates, qualifications, or graduations can be found on the website of the ”Information System Regarding the Recognition of Foreign Diplomas” or in the admissions database of German Academic Exchange Service. If STARTING states that your university entrance qualification is equivalent to the German Abitur, you may enter the university directly, i.e., you do not have to enroll for preparatory classes and may apply directly for admission. If your diplomas do not qualify for direct university entrance, you may have to attend a preparatory class first. The University of Siegen does not offer this type of class. To learn more, please visit the website of preparatory courses in Germany (www. studienkollegs.de).


Non-EU / EEA citizens apply for Bachelor's and most of the Master's desgree programs exclusively in writing at STARTING.

Application Deadlines:

Applications For: Summer Semester For: Winter Semester
Preperatory German Course(DSH)
September - 15.November
Bachelor-/Master study program (taught in German) September - 15.Januar
International Master study program (taught in English) here


As soon as your application arrived at the department of STARTING you will get a notice of Arrival via email.


Master's degree programs

Please note that there are different application deadlines for master's degree programs. For the international master's degree programs, please take note of the application deadlines for international master's degree programs.


Information on the recognition of your school or university degree in Germany can be found on the website Information System for the Recognition of Foreign Educational Qualifications" or in the admissions database of the German Academic Exchange Service “Study and research in Germany". If the STARTING verification process evaluates your previous education as equivalent to the German Abitur, you have the direct university entrance. This means that you do not have to attend any study-oriented courses at a Studienkolleg and can apply directly for the admission to study. If your certificates do not qualify for direct admission to the university, you may be required to attend a Studienkolleg. There is no Studienkolleg at the University of Siegen. Please visit the website of the Studienkollegs in Germany.

Prospective students with school leaving qualifications entitling them to study in their home country but not in Germany, can achieve an admission to study in Germany by passing the test for foreign students (TestAS by g.a.s.t.e.V.). The result must be at least a standrard grade of 100 or better in both parts of the test. The University of Siegen doesn’t offer the TestAS and this test cannot replace the certificate of German language proficiency (DSH2, TestDaF 4-4-4-4, or equivalence).

The Studienbrücke offers a special program to prepare students for their prospective study in Germany. In this program it is possible to pass the TestAS as well as the TestDaF.

Important advice for international students (degree seeking BA, MA, PhD): If you change your study program without getting a permission of the Immigration Office first, you risk to loose your residence permit!


Documents to be filed with your application

  • Application form: Please fill it out by using a computer and not by handwriting, then sign it
  • Certified copies of your university entrance qualification, university report cards and university entrance examination (if necessary in your home country), together with a German or English translation (prepared by a sworn translator)
  • Certified copy of the certificate of German language proficiency, together with a German or English translation (prepared by a sworn translator) - required in degree courses offered in German (see below proficency in German)
  • study grades overview/transcript of records of previous studies
  • Certificate of nationality (passport or visa copy)
  • Tabular resume
  • If you are changing universities: a clearance certificate from your former university
  • If necessary the certificate of the results of the TestAS

For your application, please note: Only complete applications which have been filed within the application period will be accepted. You must complete all the fields on the application form truthfully and you must sign the original application. You must provide certified copies of all the certificates. If the original certificate or document is not issued in either German or English, you must also provide a certified translation of the document in German or English. Please do not send original documents. The University of Siegen does not assume any liability for any unsolicited original certificates you send. Please indicate on the application form a postal address where you are sure to receive mail at any time without delay. If your name is different from the one on the name plates on the door of the address you give, please complete the c/o field on the application and quote the listed name. If your mail address changes before you receive a response to your application, please inform us immediately of the new address in writing (letter, fax or e-mail).

Proficiency in German (except for English study programs): DSH exams level 2 or 3 (German language exam for foreign students wishing to enter a university) or an equivalent diploma are required. For linguistics or media programs, DSH exam level 3 or equivalent is recommended.

Applicants from PR China, Mongolia, and Vietnam must apply for a certificate of the Academic Evaluation Center (APS), which should be filed together with their application documents. You will not be admitted without the APS certificate. For more information, please consult your nearest German embassy or consulate. This rule does not apply to foreign doctoral students!


How to apply as a foreign applicant (checklist)

  1. Select your program: You should choose a study program. For more information on programs and degrees, please visit Study programs.
  2. Complete your application form: Depending on your nationality and your chosen program, you can apply online or in writing to the office of STARTING (Student Admission, Registration and Training in German) of the University of Siegen.
  3. Application deadline: You should apply before the application deadline. The University of Siegen requires you to file your application by the closing date, at the latest.

    Please note that there are different application deadlines for master's degree programs. For the international master's degree programs, please take note of the application deadlines for international master's degree programs.

  4. Handling: STARTING

    1. checks whether you meet all requirements for your chosen program,

    2. identifies whether you hold a university entrance qualification, whether you will need to demonstrate that you have passed the DSH exam, or whether you have to pass an additional assessment test and

    3. sends you notification of admission or rejection. STARTING does not provide any information about the status of your application prior to sending this notification. Notification of admission or rejection is only sent at the beginning of the admission process for the corresponding semester.

  5. Proficiency in German: When you apply for your core study program, you must submit certified proof that you have passed the DSH exam or equivalent.

  6. Registration: When you receive a letter of admission, you can register for your study program or the German class. Please be sure to observe the registration deadline indicated on your letter of admission.


Preparatory German Language Courses (DSH-Preparation)If you did not reach the level of German language skills required for your desired study program at the time of your application or registration you cannot be admitted to a German language bachelor or master program. You can, however, acquire the necessary knowledge in the German courses of the STARTING department at the University of Siegen. If you would like to participate in a German course at the University of Siegen, you have to indicate this in your application form. You will then be registered for the selection process.

Please note the application deadlines: 15 May for the winter semester and 15 November for the summer semester. After admission and registration at the University of Siegen, you obtain student status. Courses include 20 lessons per week. The basic level is generally passed after one semester with the examination at level B1. You can then attend the DSH-preparatory course, which is completed with the DSH exam. You have the possibility to re-take the exam twice. Your German language level (basic or advanced) is decided at the beginning of each course. In addition to the semester fee, a fee of EUR 500.00 per semester (as of SoSe 2020) is required. Refugees will receive guest auditor status and will be exempt from the fees.

Send your application with all necessary documents to:

Universität Siegen
Adolf-Reichwein-Straße 2
57076 Siegen