Mo - Do: 8 - 17 Uhr
Fr: 8 - 14 Uhr
Terminvereinbarung für eine Telefon- oder Videoberatung über
You find information about the admission procedure here: STARTING
Architecture - Design and Construction in Existing Contexts
The degree program
The target of the Master's degree program "Architecture – Design and Construction in Existing Contexts" is teaching competence in handling building fabric to be modernised, used differently, supplemented or removed under urban development, design, functional and constructionally-technical aspects. The Master's degree program is targeted at a scientifically theory-related and at the same time practice-related specialization and additional qualification and comprises 14 modules.
The subject of this specialization degree program is the answer to the changes in the social problem horizon:
- Change of use and maintenance of old building fabric becomes more and more important.
- The demographic development of the population in Europe makes cities shrink.
- The over-aging of society means that needs and the actual situation no longer coincide.
- The overproduction of office buildings (vacancies) in the conurbations often causes abandoned infrastructures in the inner city areas.
"Design and Construction in Existing Contexts" means that we have to reflect on this problem in the scope of urban development and architectural considerations in order to react with sustainable new solution approaches in the long term. Cities and buildings must be adjusted again to the changing needs.
"Design and Construction in Existing Contexts" also means finding a respectful access to existing, intact urban structures in order to achieve added value in architectural qualities with planning measures. The maintenance of old, monument-protected building fabric must be ensured and generally considered.
Construction in existing structures will characterise the profession of the architect more than ever in future. Modernization, damage restoration, energy savings, conversion and expansion. Demolition in shrinking cities and closure of vacant buildings will be future tasks of the architecture offices.
Up to 25 students will be admitted. They can use a shared studio where they will develop or discuss their projects together, with teachers and guest lecturers, where there will be seminars and lectures and where they are to communicatively interact.
1) Degree "Bachelor of Science" or
"Bachelor of Arts" in a degree program in architecture or
equivalent diploma degree with a total grade of at least 2.5
2) Foreign applicants must document sufficient German skills before starting the Master's degree program (at least DSH2 or TestDaF with at least 4 in all examination parts).
The examination regulations relevant at the time shall apply.