What data does the USiCard contain?
The USiCard contains your name, matriculation number and also your picture on the front.
What personal data is stored?
- First name: (Your first name deposited in unisono)
- Surname: (Your surname deposited in unisono)
- Gender: (Your gender deposited in unisono)
- Date of birth: (Your date of birth, stored in unisono)
- Matriculation number: (your matriculation number)
- ESI (European Student Card ID): (your ID for the use of the European Student Card)
- Library number: (your matriculation number as well as the version number of your UsiCard)
How can I protect my own data?
Handle the USiCard as carefully and cautiously as you would your bank card. Put it in a protective sleeve or keep it in your wallet. If you want to keep the card completely read-proof, you can use a metal-containing sleeve (faraday cage), such as is also available for official identification documents.
How long will my photo be stored?
A deletion takes place 20 weeks after the photo has been uploaded or can be requested in advance at the Registrar's Office after your USiCard has been produced.
The technology of the USiCard
Unlike a Girocard / EC card, you cannot see the chip on your USiCard. It is permanently baked into the card, which is made of multilayer plastic. It uses RFID (radio frequency identification) technology, which enables the contactless transmission of data up to a distance of ten centimeters from the reader. The chip is supplied with power inductively via the antenna, which is also integrated, during each transmission process. It does not require a battery.
RFID technology is robust and has been tried and tested for years. Nevertheless, you should always handle the card with care. A wash cycle in the washing machine can damage the chip in the card - as can leaving it in a hot car in the summer.