Erasmus+ Green Travel
The International Student Affairs department at the University of Siegen would like to contribute to reducing the ecological footprint of Erasmus+. Therefore, from now on, we will cover part of the travel costs for students travelling by train to their Erasmus+ studies or Erasmus+ traineeship and back home again!
Please contact us by email before booking your ticket!
What is funded?
We will reimburse you for the cost of your train ticket to the place of your Erasmus+ studies or traineeship and back to Germany.
- Only 2nd class tickets and connections from Germany to the place of studies or traineeship and back.
- Reimbursement up to a maximum of 185 euros per journey (return journey) at the beginning or end of your stay.
- Reimbursement only applies to train tickets, not to long-distance bus journeys!
- Costs for overnight stays are not covered.
How do I organise my trip?
That depends on the destination country of your studies or traineeship:
- Neighbouring countries of Germany: Fixed travel booking e.g. with Deutsche Bahn, most direct connection from Germany to destination or back.
If a continuous journey is unreasonable in terms of time: up to 2 overnight stays possible per route.
Example: journey from Siegen to Warsaw, possibly one overnight stay in Berlin.
- Other countries: Flexible travel booking, e.g. with the Interrail Global Pass 4 days, connection from Germany to the destination or back.
With the Interrail Global Pass 4 days, up to 3 overnight stays per route are possible.
Example: journey from Siegen to Palermo, possibly two overnight stays in Basel and Rome.
How do I receive the funding?
Your ticket will be refunded to your bank account after the end of the trip.
- After the end of your journey, send us your original ticket (e.g. by post) as well as proof of payment (invoice, receipt, etc.).
- Also send a proof of connection or travel plan or itinerary.
- Attention! The original documents remain with us, please make copies of your documents beforehand for security reasons.
Exception: For students 28+ we will cover the costs of the Interrail Global Pass 4 days 2nd class in the amount of 246 euros.