Hinweise zum Einsatz der Google Suche
Personensuchezur unisono Personensuche
Veranstaltungssuchezur unisono Veranstaltungssuche
Katalog plus

Student Admission, Registration and Training in German Language
im SSC-Gebäude
Adolf-Reichwein-Str. 2
57076 Siegen

German as a foreign Language /
Deutsch als Fremdsprache

Tel.: 0271 740-3908, -3999
E-Mail: admission@zv.uni-siegen.de

Coordinator Uni-Start for new Immigrants /
Koordinator Uni-Start für Neuzugewanderte

Tel.: 0271 740-5090
E-Mail: christian.gerhus@zv.uni-siegen.de

before admission /
Bewerbung bis zur Zulassung zum Studium

Tel.: 0271 740-5218, -3903
E-Mail: admission@zv.uni-siegen.de

after admission is issued /
Nach der Zulassung zum Studium

Tel.: 0271 740-3418
E-Mail: registration@zv.uni-siegen.de

Doctoral programs for foreign students

Studienvorbereitende Deutschkurse

Foreign applicants for doctoral programs

Pursuing a doctoral program in Germany means undertaking independent research work with the support of a professor. Usually a doctoral program takes three to five years to complete. The research results are presented by the student in the form of a written thesis, called a dissertation. In addition to the written thesis, the award of a doctorate requires an oral examination (rigorosum or disputation). When pursuing your doctoral program, you usually focus on your own scientific work rather than attending any courses.



For you to be admitted to a doctoral program, you must hold a scientific degree (e.g., Master's, Magister, State Examination). Foreign degrees may be accepted as entrance qualification for doctoral programs. The decision regarding whether your degree will be accepted for admittance to a doctoral program is taken by the examination board of the faculty in charge. Usually the doctoral thesis is written in German. On request, individual faculties may be prepared to accept other languages as well, for instance English.


Thesis supervisor

Each doctoral candidate must have a scientific supervisor. The supervisor is a scientist who is prepared to provide a topic for your doctoral thesis, or to accept a topic suggested by you, and who will support you during your research work. In order for you to find a thesis supervisor, you must first verify whether your research focus is part of the curriculum of the University of Siegen. If this is the case, please contact a professor of the appropriate school at the University of Siegen. Your inquiry should include all your certificates, subjects, as well as marks awarded (a certified copy, together with a certified German translation, unless the certificates are in English or German), your complete resume, and a description of your research project. A list of the professors, including areas of expertise, of the University of Siegen can be found in the faculty directory of the University of Siegen (Online Portal unisono) and can also be obtained from the various schools.


Examination board

The supervisor suggests candidates to the examination board of the school concerned, who decide on the admission of a doctoral candidate to the doctoral program. For the addresses of examination boards, please click here (temporary not available in English).


Enrollment for a doctoral program for educational foreigners

After having been accepted by your supervisor you have to apply to the PHD admission board of your faculty as described above. After receiving the confirmation from your supervisor you are generally eligible for enrolling in the doctoral program until the end of the first semester, at the latest. To enroll, you are required to file this acceptance letter and your Master Degree certificate in the original version and as a copy until the beginning of the semester, at the latest, at the registrar's office (Ms Düber, STARTING) for educational foreigners. In addition, you must present a passport, submit a photograph, as well as a health insurance certificate from a state or private health insurance company, and perhaps a visa. You can submit your visa application with the confirmation letter of your supervisor at a German diplomatic representation or at the alien office of your place of residence in Germany. During your first doctoral semester you must to apply independently to become a doctoral student at the corresponding school's admission board and forward their letter of acceptance to Ms Düber at the registrar's office for educational foreigners (STARTING).

Residence Permit for Post Graduate Students

Information on various purposes of residence can be found at BAMF and HRK

For doctoral candidates, the purpose of residence refers to §16 Residence Act for study or, if applicable, §18 Residence Act for employment (if you receive a contract of employment at the University of Siegen).

When applying for a visa, please note that you are bound to this residence permit during your entire stay in Siegen, and that the applied purpose will affect family reunification and the follow up employment.

Please obtain detailed advice from the respective authorities of the German diplomatic representations before making a decision.