Student Admission, Registration and Training in German Language
German as a foreign Language /
Deutsch als Fremdsprache
Tel.: 0271 740-3908, -3999
Coordinator Uni-Start for new Immigrants /
Koordinator Uni-Start für Neuzugewanderte
Tel.: 0271 740-5090
before admission /
Bewerbung bis zur Zulassung zum Studium
Tel.: 0271 740-5218, -3903
after admission is issued /
Nach der Zulassung zum Studium
Tel.: 0271 740-3418
Registering to Study at the University of Siegen
Requirements for Study Admission.
The application to the STARTING Department of the University of Siegen is a prerequisite for admission to a study program. Admission to study is followed by pre-enrollment via the online-portal Unisono. Registration means that study applicants with admission are added to the list of students of the University of Siegen
Registration english spoken master´s programs and in preparatory German language courses (DSH-preparation) is currently effected via upload in unisono. To guide you through registration process we created different tutorials for each group of bachelor´s and master´s programs doctoral studies (PhD) and preparatory German language course (DSH preparation)
- Unisono-tutorial for preparatory German language course (DSH preparation)
- Unisono-tutorial for the English taught master´s programs (Human Computer Interaction, Physics und IPEM (International Production Engineering and Management)
- Unisono-tutorial for German tuaght bachelor´s and master´s programs and doctoral studies (PhD)
Student´s of German taught bachelor´s or master´s program and doctoral studies (PhD) please have to enroll by post sending paper-based documents listed below.
The following documents have to be presented for registration:
- Registration via the online-portal (unisono) - There you will find the application for online preregistration. Please complete the application, submit it online, and bring a print out for your in-person registration.
- Copy of passport
- Health insurance certificate ("Mitgliedsbescheinigung zur Vorlage bei der Hochschule") for freshmen registration at a university (membership- or chip card is not sufficient!); in case of private health insurance, an exemption certificate from a public health insurance company must be provided (exemption from student health insurance). See also Information on public health insurance for students. (Student Health Insurance Guideline) For more Information about health insurance ,click here
- A Financial Statement, completed and signed. (attached is also an overview of Estimated costs of living for students in Siegen.)
- Copy of admission notice
- Proof of special education of activities (internship, etc.), if required for the study program.
The German language course (DSH-preparation) in summer semester 2021 will be offered online. Therefore, just the course fee of 500 Euro have to be paid. The required documents required for enrolment should be uploaded via the online-portal Unisono. A NRW-/VGWS-Ticket (Public transportation bus and train ticket for NRW) will not be given to freshman in these online courses. Health insurance certificate and semester fee is not required until winter semester 2021/22. Freshman will contacted via email in order to register for the winter semester.
Freshman of all German taught bachelor or master programs and doctoral studies (PhD) must register via mail to:
International Registrar´s Office
D-57076 Siegen (Germany)
Only Freshmen students (2 semester) in the masters programs who arrive as up 01 April 2021
Confirmation to arrive in April 2021 (Confirmation of the necessity to be present in Germany for the purpose of studies)
If freshmen, who have to enter Germany in summer semester 2021 in order to study, need a special confirmation of University of Siegen for entry into Germany, please contact email@example.com . Confirmation letters will only be issued for degree programs, requiring your entry into Germany.
Payment of semester fee
Freshmen students (2 semester) have to transfer the regular semester fee to the University bank account until 03. March 2021.
Freshmen students (2 semester) please send the proof of contract with German public health insurance, ("Mitgliedsbescheinigung zur Vorlage bei der Hochschule") which starts on 01 April 2021 via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. In case you aren´t able to arrange a contract with German public health insurance in your homeland, please get into contact with one of the German public health insurance companies immediately after your arrival in Germany, sign a contract and submit the proof of this contract to the International Registrar´s Office via e-mail to email@example.com or post (see address above).
Only for Bachelor´s program Media Studies:
- Proof of passed aptitude test
Only for Bachelor´s program Architecture:
- Proof of eight-week pre-study internship
Only for Teacher Education Study Programs:
- Courses in Art and Music: Proof of passed aptitude test
- Spanish Course: High School Level Spanish skills
Only for students, who are, or were, registered at a University already:
- Proof of the kind and duration of previous studies (study programs/subjects)
- If applicable, proof of previously passed final exams – degrees, as well as their translation to German or English, if the certified copy had not submitted already during the application process.
Only when previously studying in Germany:
- termination of enrolment certificate(s)
- Continuation of studies in the same program or in a related study program: Certificate from the former institution that no examination or proof of performance required in the examination regulations has been definitively failed in the relevant course of study, or in courses of study in which the same examination or the same performance record is mandatory. (Unbedenklichkeitsbescheinigung)
- registration certificate for the semester that registration is applied for
What are the next steps after registration?
From 28 March 2021 (expected starting date) a corona test is mandatory for anybody travelling by airplane to Germany regardless of the country of departure! Therefore, we strongly recommend that all students arriving in Germany by airplane should get informed about the conditions of corona tests at the place of departure in time prior to departure.
Freshmen, coming to Germany from Corona hot-spots, have to obey special rules. Therefore please catch up on latest regulations. More details are available on this website: Corona-information
Freshman studying a bachelor´s or master´s program will receive the information on how the semester fees are to be paid after registration via email. Please transfer the amount as soon as possible, as the registration becomes effective only after payment is made. Please note that transfer of money from a bank account abroad normally takes 5-10 days. If you are no longer interested in the admission, please do let us know immediately.
Up from March you will receive your USiCard to your semester address in Germany. In case you didn´t hand in any German address within the registration, your USiCard will be stored at the International Registrar´s Office until your arrival in Germany. In this case please get into contact with International Registrar´s Office after your arrival via firstname.lastname@example.org. All other required information you will receive via email.
All printed data must be checked carefully. Errors and future changes are to be communicated immediately to the International Registrar’s Office in STARTING.
Responsible for study support, according to Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BAföG), is
Studierendenwerk Siegen AöR
Telephone +49 (0) 271 740-4891
Read also practical tips!