Hinweise zum Einsatz der Google Suche
Personensuchezur unisono Personensuche
Veranstaltungssuchezur unisono Veranstaltungssuche
Katalog plus


Covid-19 860x280

Due to the spread of COVID-19, everyday life and campus life have changed considerably.

All university buildings are currently close. The winter semester 2022/23 is mainly held with remote teaching. If nevertheless one of your courses are held on campus, the teacher will welcome you at the door. For further information on the academic calendar visit the website Deadlines and General Dates.

We know that the situation is a challenge, especially for our current international students. We continue to be available to support you. Contact us by e-mail if you have any questions or concerns. 

On this website we provide information on regulations, finances, residence permit and support under COVID-19. As information may change, please check the websites listed below regularly for updates!

Information from the University of Siegen

General information from the University of Siegen concerning the current semester, studies and teaching, hygiene measures and behaviour in case of illness can be found in the corona information portal.  


Public life remains restricted. Please be sure to read our information on entry and current regulations in the public sector!

Face Mask Regulations

Currently, you must wear a medical mask (so-called surgical masks of the EN 14683 standard -must be specified on the sales packaging- or medical masks of the KN95/N95 or FFP2 standards) in public spaces, i.e. at bus stops and train stations, in doctors' offices, pharmacies, shops or at gas stations, as well as during religious services or other religious gatherings. Fabric masks or other face coverings are no longer allowed!


Entry Regulations 

Please note that the information is constantly changing. Please inform yourself about the latest status before your arrival.

Since June 2020, there have been additional entry regulations. Please note the information for travellers provided by the Federal Ministry of Health. For further information check FAQ regarding corona testing when travelling to Germany.

All persons entering Germany must have proof of vaccination, convalescence or negative testing (Antigen or PCR).
Persons entering NRW from a high incidence area or an area of variant of concern from abroad must first register their entry online at einreiseanmeldung.de. An up-to-date list of risk areas can be found on the website of the Robert Koch Institute. Please note: From now on, persons entering Germany by air must present a negative test before boarding the aircraft!

Entering Germany from a High Risk Area

Entry from a high risk area is only possible with proof of recovery, complete vaccination or a negative PCR or antigen test result.  If you are not fully vaccinated or recovered, you must be quarantined for 10 days after entry. However, after 5 days you can end the quarantine with a negative test result. Please note the requirements regarding the performance of a test.

The negative test result must be kept for at least 10 days! If symptoms of illness occur, please call a doctor immediately.

Entering Germany from an Area of Variant 

Stricter rules apply to entry from areas where certain virus variants have spread (virus variant areas). Persons who have been in such a region for 10 days before entering Germany require a negative test result or a corresponding medical certificate. The result must be presented to the competent authorities upon entry. If the journey is made by a carrier, you must also present the proof to the carrier. The test must have been performed no more than 48 hours prior to entry. If you are unable to test, your carrier may perform or arrange for a test to be performed no more than 12 hours prior to departure. The test must also meet certain requirements (see RKI).
There is also a quarantine period of 14 days for all persons. The quarantine period can no longer be shortened by a negative test result!

If you live in the Studierendenwerk dormitory, please contact the Studierendenwerk immediately. They will provide you with a test kit so that you can perform a daily self-test. If you test positive or experience symptoms, please contact the Health Office immediately by phone (0271 333-1120) or online form.
Please wear a medical/FFP 2 mask when moving across the corridors and use the disinfectant provided by the Studierendenwerk for the bathroom and kitchen after use. Direct contact with others is not permitted.
If you are staying in other accommodation, we advise you to ask someone to buy self-tests for you, which you will perform daily, for the protection of others.


» At the airport
It is best to get tested while still in your home country (maximum 48 hours before departure) and enter the country with a negative test. Alternatively, in Germany there is the possibility to get tested directly after arrival at the airport (unless you are entering from a virus variant or high incidence area).
See further possibilities for testing below.

Confirmation of In-Person Classes
If students who have to enter Germany for the winter semester 2021/22 to study need a special confirmation from the University of Siegen for entry, please request it at registration@zv.uni-siegen.de.

First steps in Siegen
On this homepage you will find a lot of important information about your start in Siegen. Please also note the digital introductory events in September! 

Quarantine regulations

If you are part of the group that needs to be quarantined for some time after entry, please note the following:

Way to your accommodation

After your arrival (for example, at the airport), you must travel by direct route to your accommodation. This means that you may use trains and buses to get to your accommodation, but you are not allowed to do any shopping beforehand, for example. Therefore, make sure that you take some food with you or, if you move into a shared apartment, ask your roommates to buy something for you beforehand.

In the accommodation

If you will be living in a dormitory or in a shared apartment (WG), you will have to stay mostly in your room during the quarantine period. Talk to your flatmates to clarify the use of the kitchen and bathroom together (e.g. at certain times). You are not allowed to leave the apartment/house under any circumstances.
The quarantine may only be terminated early if you are allowed to do so by the health department or public order office!!

Food supply

Please make sure that you get enough food yourself. Ask your roommates or friends to do the shopping for you and bring you the food - contactless. You can also order groceries or hot meals via delivery services.
Local supermarkets, for example, can be found at www.lozuka.de. Also, use the Google search with the keyword "Lieferservice".

There are also organizations that will support you if you need help. Please contact buergermeister@siegen.de or call (0271) 404-123. Alternatively, contact the Corona info hotline of the Siegen-Wittgenstein district administration at 0271/3331120 or the mobile emergency service of the SoLiNa initiative at 0170/6768713.

If you live in the Student Union dorms, you can also purchase a cooking set and a laundry set!


If you face severe problems, please contact your supervisor if you are part of an English speaking study program (see contact below under "help and contact); if this is not the case, please contact the department International Student Affairs

Covid Test

There are different ways to get tested for Covid.
A distinction can be made between the rapid antigen test and the PCR test. The rapid antigen test is usually sufficient and is usually free of charge (please make sure beforehand).

Possibilities for getting tested:
» In Siegen and surroundings:           
You can get tested at a test centers, but some pharmacies or doctors' offices also offer tests. 
Here you can find all the options in Siegen and the surrounding area: https://www.siegen-wittgenstein.de/schnelltests

» Self test
Please note that self-tests (i.e. tests that you buy yourself from a retailer and use at home or in front of another person) are often not permitted. Please inform yourself in advance.

» Corona app
It is recommended to install the Corona warning app of the federal government on your smartphone. It is also available in English https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-de/themen/corona-warn-app/corona-warn-app-englisch and in other languages. You can be informed about your test result via it.

So-called "2G or 3G regulations"

Please note that you can only access many areas of public life if you observe the so-called 2G rule. 2G means "recovered or vaccinated", 3G means "recovered, vaccinated or tested". 2G+ / 3G+ means that even those recovered or tested must show proof of testing.

» "Genesen" (recovered) means that you have been proven (by PCR test) to have Covid 19 in the last 6 months. Your doctor can provide you with a certificate to this effect. Please note that this status is only valid until 6 months after the illness.
» "Geimpft" (vaccinated) means that you have been fully vaccinated with a vaccine recognized in Germany. Depending on the vaccine, you must have been vaccinated once or twice and wait 2 weeks adterwards. You can prove this with your vaccination card or have your vaccination status confirmed digitally by a pharmacy.
» "Getestet" (tested) means you have had a rapid test or PCR test done at an approved site within the last 24 hours and carry proof of that with you. You can also get tested on campus.

Current regulations on Campus 

Participation in a course on campus
If you want to take part in a course or an examination on campus, please note that you have to present a proof that you are recovered, vaccinated or tested (so-called "3G")

Visit of mensa, library and consultation hours
Please note that you must also have proof of "3G" with you if you want to visit the cafeteria or the library, for example; the same applies to office hours.

You can find more information about regulations at the university here

Current regulations in public space 

General Regulations:

» Distance
You need to keep a distance of 1.5m to other people and avoid gatherings or groups.

» Hygiene
Wash your hands often and thouroughly with soap and water or use hand sanatizer.
Cover mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough and sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.

» Face Mask (Please note new regulations as of 25 January 2021)
As of January 25, you must wear a medical mask (so-called surgical masks of the EN 14683 standard -must be specified on the sales packaging- or medical masks of the KN95/N95 or FFP2 standards) in public spaces, i.e. at bus stops and train stations or in public transport, in doctors' offices, in pharmacies, in shops or at gas stations, as well as during religious services or other religious gatherings. Fabric masks or other cace coverings are no longer allowed!

Regulations in the District Siegen-Wittgenstein:
(Please note that, depending on the incidence values, other rules may apply in other locations in Germany. Please inform yourself independently if you move outside of Siegen).
Regular updates and case numbers are published on the website of the District Siegen-Wittgenstein. As information is provided in German only you find a summery of the most important regulations here.

» Mandatory Face Covering in the City Center
In the meantime, a large part of the mask requirement has been lifted. Wearing masks in public spaces is recommended in queues, at sales booths and in checkout areas. Though, in indoor areas, masks have to be worn.

» Bus and trains
The 3G rule applies to local public transport! 

» Eventsa and Congresses 
Events, meetings and congresses are subject to the 2G rule. For non-leisure-related events, the 3G rule applies.

» Shops and Services 
A majority of the stores have reopened, depending on the current regional incidence value, and can be entered without prior testing. Only a small number of customers is allowed inside. A surgical or medical mask (KN95/N95/FFP2) covering is inside and outside the shop as well as in parking lots.
Medical treatment by a physiotherapist is still possible. Hairdressers (3G), cosmetic studios (2G) and tattoo studios (2G) are mainly reopened. Please inform in advance. 

» Restaurants 
The 2G+ rule applies in bars, pubs and restaurants. 

» Sports 
Sports activities in sports facilities (e.g. gyms) and joint sports activities are subject to the 2G+ rule, as are swimming pools and saunas.

» Leisure activities
2G+ applies in clubs and discotheques.
In cultural institutions such as museums, theaters and other cultural events; in zoos and the like, 2G+ applies.

» Tourism and hotels 
People who want to stay in hotels or vacation apartments for tourist reasons must abide by the 2G rule; for business stays, the 3G rule applies. Please check with the operator in advance.

» Churches and Religious Communities
Gatherings and religious services may be held if hygiene regulations are in place. If a high numbers of visitors is expected, prior notification may be required. Please check in advance the applicable rules of the community you plan to visit.

Information about the current Stiuation in Germany in different languages:
Handbook Germany 
Beauftragte der Bundesregierung für Migration, Flüchtlinge und Integration 
Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung: Infektionsschutz


Any person registered in Germany can register for a vaccination appointment. The vaccination is free of charge. There is no obligation to be vaccinated.

Options for being vaccinated

» Vaccination possibility on campus
There is an opportunity to be vaccinated on campus (first and second vaccination). The dates are.
> Jan. 27, 2022, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
For more information and the link to register, click here.

» Here you can find current vaccination offers in Siegen

» Also, if you have a family doctor, you can call him/her and ask if he/she gives vaccination appointments. (A family doctor is a general practitioner that you go to whenever you are not feeling well. So he / she knows you). 

Proof of vaccination
» You can prove that you have been vaccinated with your vaccination card, where the doctor or vaccination center will note your vaccination once it is complete.

» In addition, there is now also the option of digital proof of vaccination: you will receive a vaccination certificate with QR code after vaccination. Scan this via the Corona warning app or the new CovPass app. After complete vaccination and entry via the QR code, this will suffice as proof. If you have already been vaccinated, you will receive the QR code by mail.
Information on this can be found here (in German only). 

Recognition of international vaccination certificates
» If you have been vaccinated abroad with one of the vaccines vaccinated in Germany or with a vaccine recognized by the PEI, you can have your vaccination certificate recognized / digitized here. Please ask at pharmacies. Not every pharmacy offers this service.


Many students have lost work and are facing financial hardship during COVID-19. At present, various options are being sought to support students in need. Unfortunately, the administrative processes are very complicated and take time. As soon as there are any news, we will provide further information!

Here are a few tips and information that could help you if you currently have little or no financial resources available:

» Rent:
Talk to your landlord or landlady, explain your situation and ask if a rent deferral is possible. Many landlords have shown understanding.

» Health insurance:
Talk to your health insurance company. Here too, it is sometimes possible to pay contributions a little later.

» Small loans from the AStA:
The general students' committee AStA grants small loans of about 250 Euros and the application process is fairly easy. Please contact the social department of the AStA

Please remember, however, that deferrals and loans mean a payment or repayment at a later date! 

Further possibilities:

» Refund of the semesterticket:
You can apply for a refund of you semester ticket fee at the AStA until 8 May.

» Student job:
If you have lost your part-time job, ask at supermarkets, for example. Some of them are currently hiring more staff because they have increased demand for staff. Also check with the university's job agency. In the meantime, more and more student jobs are available.

» Emergency Food Assistance:
Free food is distributed Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Siegener Tafel. The Heimatverein Achenbach and foodsharing also provide free food to people in need. 

» Financial support by religious organisations:
If you are in great need, please contact the Katholische Hochschulgemeinde (KHG), which - regardless of your religion - can support you with a one-time financial grant after examination. The Evangelische Studierendengemeinde (ESG) can provide you with meal vouchers.

» Scholarship for the final period of your studies:
If you are about to finish your studies and are planning or already writing your final thesis, you can apply for a scholarship at the association AWiPro oder at the Evangelischen Studierendengemeinde (ESG).

Residence permit 

If your residence permit expires in the near future and you need to extend it, please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office. The staff is available by phone or email. You are only allowed to enter the building with an appointment.

If you are still abroad and your residence permit expires, please also contact your Foreigners' Registration Office in Germany for further information.

The Foreigners' Registration Office is aware of the difficulties you are currently facing.  and consequences of the current semester. It may be that you won't be able to get all achievments as planned. If you can prove this, you will not be put at a disadvantage.

If you have any problems, please contact the department ISA.

Support for everyday life 

The current situation is a challenge for all of us - especially because we are hardly allowed to have direct social contacts. However, try to stay in touch and find new ways to organize your day. It is important to keep daily routines and to develop a firm structure for your work.

Learning and entertainment

» ISA Facebook group:
The Facebook group of ISA gives you ideas and information about everyday life.

» Online meeting "Stammtisch":
Every Thursday evening at 7.30 p.m. our online regulars' table (called "Stammtisch) takes place. There you can meet other students - German and international - can chat, exchange information and play together. You can find the regulars' table information here.  

Free online courses:
Take part at one of the 600 free online courses on Class Central and expand your knowledge

» Learn German:
There are many opportunities to get to know German and the German culture further. For example via the YouTube channel Easy German.

Mental and physical health

» Sports :
Exercise daily. Exercise in the fresh air - walking, jogging or cycling - is permitted (even without a mask). There are also many online offers to do sports at home. Take a look at ALBA Berlin, for example, where you can take part in a sports lesson every day. Also many fitness studios and even health insurance companies have online offers.

» Structuring your everyday life:
You can find very detailed tips on how to structure your day, for example, at the Studierendenwerk Leipzig.

» Psychological support:
If you are not feeling well and need support, please contact the psychological counselling service of the University of Siegen.

» Psychological health:
Many newspapers and magazines currently publish helpful mental health tips, such as the BBC's article "Coronavirus: How to protect your mental health"

Help and contact 

Please note that the university buildings are currently closed. However, all employees can be reached by email and / or telephone.

International Student Affairs (ISA)

If you have any problems, please contact us. We support you as best we can. Send us your phone number or ask for a video call, if you need to talk.

» International degree seeking students: Ms Eva Grottschreiber
» International Erasmus students: Mrs Nathalie Bourin-Budig
» International exchange students (besides Erasmus): Ms Jullia Shirley

If you have any questions regarding registration, change of your studies or your student card, please contact the department STARTING

If you have any questions about your studies, your timetable or you need some help while being in quarantine, please contact the staff of your faculty. Don't hesitate to write to your lecturer directly if you have questions about one of your courses.
You can also get help from the  Academic Advisors of your faculty / study programme.

Contact for students of international study programs:
» Chemistry: Ms. Berg
» Computer Science: Ms. Niet-Wunram
» Economic Policies: Mr. Kowitzke
» Human Computer Interaction: Ms. Grinko
» Mechatronics: 
» Nanoscience and Nanotechnologies: Mr. Agio
» Physics: Mr. Kleinmann
» Roads to Democracies: Ms. Pacas

Examination office

Your Examination Office will also help you with any questions regarding your achievements and registration of your achievemnts / exams.

Psychological consultation
If you have problems with your studies, feel alone or are not feeling well, you are very welcome to contact the Psychological Counselling Service.