Hinweise zum Einsatz der Google Suche
Personensuchezur unisono Personensuche
Veranstaltungssuchezur unisono Veranstaltungssuche
Katalog plus




Due to the spread of COVID-19, everyday life and campus life have changed considerably. In summer semester 2020 the lecture period and online classes started on April 20, the lecture period ended on July 17.
The start of the lecture period in winter semester 2020/21 starts 28.10.2020 (graduate studies) and 2.11.2020 (undergraduate studies) respectively. For further information on the academic calendar visit the website Deadlines and General Dates.

We know that the situation is a challenge, especially for our current international students. We continue to be available to support you. Contact us by e-mail if you have any questions or concerns. 

On this website we provide information on regulations, finances, residence permit and support under COVID-19.

Information from the University of Siegen

General information from the University of Siegen concerning the current semester, studies and teaching, hygiene measures and behaviour in case of illness can be found in the corona information portal.  


Entry Regulations>

Since June 2020, there have been additional entry regulations. Please note the information provided by the Federal Ministry of Health.

Before you enter Germany, you must contact the local health authority and inform them of your planned entry. On the website of the Robert Koch-Institute you can search for the health office responsible for your place of residence.

Persons who have stayed in a risk area within 14 days before entering Germany must self-isolate at home or in suitable accommodation after entry. An up-to-date list of risk areas can be found on the website of the Robert Koch Institute.

Corona Test at the Airport

At some German airports returning passengers (from areas with high corona risk) can take a corona test on-site:

-  Frankfurt/Main Airport (FRA) 
-  Dusseldorf Airport (DUS) 
-  Cologne Bonn Aiport (CGN)

Current regulations in public space >

General Regulations:

- In public spaces groups of no more than 10 persons are allowed. This regulation does not apply for family members and peopl of two different households.
- You need to keep a distance of 1.5m to other people
- In public spaces (supermarkets, bus stops or train stations, public transportation) as well as in doctors' offices, etc. you have to wear a face mask or cloth face covering.

New Regulations in NRW (from 11. May 2020 on):

- Shops and Services
All shops are allowed to open if hygiene regulations are met. Only a small number of customers is allowed inside (1 customer per 10qm). Only exception: tattoo-shops and cosmetic studios will remain closed.

- Restaurants
Restaurants will open as well, a limitation of opening hours is not planned. A distance of 1.5m between tables is to be kept. Seats are assigned by the staff, customers must leave their name and contact information. Only persons from two different households are allowed to gather in a restaurant. 

- Tourism and hotels
Amusement parks, tourist information offices, bike rentals, etc. are allowed to open. If social distancing is observed, holiday homes and camping sites may also open. Hotels will not open for tourists until 18 May 2020.

- Bars and clubs will remain closed.

- Sports
Training in gyms, sports halls and dance schools is permitted, however, strict social distancing and hygiene regulations apply. Outdoor sports grounds have been open for use since 7 May 2020. Public outdoor swimming pools are expected to open on 20 May 2020, indoor swimming pools on 30 May 2020.

- Theatres, Operas und Cinemas
Small open air concerts and events will be possible. Theatres, operas and cinemas will open on 30 May 2020. Distance regulations will apply. Security guards will be present to make sure there are no queues and gatherings.
Larger events will not take place until 1 September 2020.

Please note: These rules and regulations only apply in NRW and may differ in other federal states! Violation of the respective restrictions may result in steep fines!

Information about the current Stiuation in Germany in different languages:
Handbook Germany
Beauftragte der Bundesregierung für Migration, Flüchtlinge und Integration
Bundeszentrale für gesundheitliche Aufklärung: Infektionsschutz

Financing >

Many students have lost work and are facing financial hardship during COVID-19. At present, various options are being sought to support students in need. Unfortunately, the administrative processes are very complicated and take time. As soon as there are any news, we will provide further information!

Here are a few tips and information that could help you if you currently have little or no financial resources available:

- Rent:
Talk to your landlord or landlady, explain your situation and ask if a rent deferral is possible. Many landlords have shown understanding.

- Health insurance:
Talk to your health insurance company. Here too, it is sometimes possible to pay contributions a little later.

- Small loans from the AStA:
The general students' committee AStA grants small loans of about 250 Euros and the application process is fairly easy. Please contact the social department of the AStA

Please remember, however, that deferrals and loans mean a payment or repayment at a later date! 

Further possibilities:

- Refund of the semesterticket:
You can still apply for a refund of you semester ticket fee at the AStA until 8 May.

- Student job:
If you have lost your part-time job, ask at supermarkets, for example. Some of them are currently hiring more staff because they have increased demand for staff. Also check with the university's job agency.

- Emergency Food Assistance:
Free food is distributed Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Siegener Tafel. The Heimatverein Achenbach and foodsharing also provide free food to people in need.

- Emergency Bridge Funding
The University of Siegen, the association "Freunde und Förderer der Universität Siegen" and the AStA started the crowdfunding campaign "Siegen helps Students" for students in need who have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible students can apply for a nonrecurring bridge funding of a maximum of 450 EUR. For further information on campaign, eligibility, guidelines and forms visit Siegen helps Students website. 

- Financial support by religious organisations:
If you are in great need, please contact the Katholische Hochschulgemeinde (KHG), which - regardless of your religion - can support you with a one-time financial grant after examination. The Evangelische Studierendengemeinde (ESG) can provide you with meal vouchers.

- Scholarship for the final period of your studies:
If you are about to finish your studies and are planning or already writing your final thesis, you can apply for a scholarship at the association AWiPro oder at the Evangelischen Studierendengemeinde (ESG).

Residence permit >

If your residence permit expires in the near future and you need to extend it, please contact the Foreigners' Registration Office. The staff is available by phone or email. You are only allowed to enter the building with an appointment.

If you are still abroad and your residence permit expires, please also contact your Foreigners' Registration Office in Germany for further information.

The Foreigners' Registration Office is aware of the difficulties you are currently facing.  and consequences of the current semester. It may be that you won't be able to get all achievments as planned. If you can prove this, you will not be put at a disadvantage.

If you have any problems, please contact the department ISA.

Support for everyday life >

The current situation is a challenge for all of us - especially because we are hardly allowed to have direct social contacts. However, try to stay in touch and find new ways to organize your day. It is important to keep daily routines and to develop a firm structure for your work.

Learning and entertainment

- ISA Facebook group:
The Facebook group of ISA gives you ideas and information about everyday life regularly.

- Online meeting "Stammtisch":
Every Thursday evening at 7 p.m. our online regulars' table (called "Stammtisch) takes place. There you can meet other students - German and international - can chat, exchange information and play together. You can find the regulars' table via the Adobe Connect room https://webconf.vc.dfn.de/usistammtisch. Usually it works best if you download the application.

- Free online courses:
Take part at one of the 600 free online courses on Class Central and expand your knowledge

- Learn German:
There are many opportunities to get to know German and the German culture further. For example via the YouTube channel Easy German.

Mental and physical health

- Sports :
Exercise daily. Exercise in the fresh air - walking, jogging or cycling - is permitted (even without a mask). There are also many online offers to do sports at home. Take a look at ALBA Berlin, for example, where you can take part in a sports lesson every day. Also many fitness studios and even health insurance companies have online offers.

- Structuring your everyday life:
You can find very detailed tips on how to structure your day, for example, at the Studierendenwerk Leipzig.

- Psychological support:
If you are not feeling well and need support, please contact the psychological counselling service of the University of Siegen.

- Psychological health:
Many newspapers and magazines currently publish helpful mental health tips, such as the BBC's article "Coronavirus: How to protect your mental health"

Help and contact >

Please note that the university buildings are currently closed. However, all employees can be reached by email and / or telephone.

International Student Affairs (ISA)

If you have any problems, please contact us. We support you as best we can. Send us your phone number or ask for a video call, if you need to talk.

- International degree seeking students: Ms Eva Grottschreiber
- International Erasmus students: Mrs Nathalie Bourin-Budig
- International exchange students (besides Erasmus): Ms Susanne Engelmann

If you have any questions regarding registration, change of your studies or your student card, please contact the department STARTING

If you have any questions about your studies, please contact the staff of your faculty. Don't hesitate to write to your lecturer directly if you have questions about one of your courses.
You can also get help from the  Academic Advisors of your faculty / study programme.

Examination office

Your Examination Office will also help you with any questions regarding your achievements and registration of your achievemnts / exams.

Psychological consultation
If you have problems with your studies, feel alone or are not feeling well, you are very welcome to contact the Psychological Counselling Service.